Writing Wednesday

This is my 50th post! *cue applause, streamers, and those fun and slightly annoying party noisemaker thingies*

If you get this post at 9 am (my time of course, EST. Which I think is like 6 am PST and 8 am whatever time zone Chicago's in...) that means either my scheduled posting is fixed or I'm on a Monster-induced writing spree and stayed up all night.

My review of Half-Blood Prince will be up later when I wake up enough to write one. There WILL be spoilers and either angry ranting or fangirl screaming. Or, depending on how last night went, some of both.

Okay, on to writing which is today's normal topic...

I've decided to remove my word count goals after a wonderful twiftie pointed out that they're quite pointless if all you're doing is trying to reach word count and not caring what you're actually writing like, ahem, I have been known to do. But I'll talk about that subject later...

I've started setting goals for each day and then keeping track of how many words I actually write. This week my best day was Friday with 4,000 words and my worst was Tuesday with none. I was too excited to write anything. :)

Andra -
Last week: Polished through chapter 4 and at 36,000 words.
This week: Polished through chapter 6 and at 45,000 words.
Andra is going really well lately and I'm hoping to finish the rewrite by August -- especially if I go on vacation -- and be querying by September. I'm also trying to come up with a new title for her. I have a few options -- one that really appeals to me -- but nothing concrete yet. I've also started working on a new query, but it's still in the first draft stages.

Assassin's Wife -
Last week: 12,000 words
This week: 15,000 words
I can't believe it's come that far. It really doesn't seem like I did that much work on it over the last week, but I guess I did. I wrote some major scenes and was a little worried that it might be moving too fast, but I got over that. The first half is going to have to be rewritten anyway. I've been having severe concerns that it might be too dark for YA and not...the right voice for adult.

No Kissing -
Last week: 10,000 words
This week: 10,000 words
No change in this one. Aislinn isn't willing to cooperate yet and tell me about her past. I hate it when my characters don't want to talk to me. (That didn't sound insane, did it?) One of these days I'm going to pull out my 100 questions sheet and start at the top.

Jump -
Last week: 5,000 words
This week: 6,000 words
I did a little work on it Friday. Got past the funeral scene I was avoiding (though I'm not sure if I like it, but I can worry about that later) and stalled after that. I'm not entirely sure what's going to happen next so I'm waiting around for an idea to hit me.

Comments

Annie said…
Wow! horserider, Congrats on your 50th post! your up to 51 now I see!:p Sounds like your novels are comming along well.
They all seem very interesting! :D

Great harry potter review too, too lazy to comment on both, plus I'm about to be kicked of the computer!xD

By the way, this is Annie (poniesrock101 from Baywind Farm)
Celise said…
Congratz on the 50th post. You'll have to throw yourself a real party when you reach 100. Or even 1000.

"I hate it when my characters don't want to talk to me.(That didn't sound insane, did it?)" - No! This doesn't sound insane at all. This is what I wait for when I get writer's block. Character's talking, scene plotting, etc.

"One of these days I'm going to pull out my 100 questions sheet and start at the top" - Please explain this. I'm curious.
Rachael said…
"Please explain this. I'm curious."

I have one of those '100 questions for your character' sheets saved to my computer. There are quite a few of them out there. I like to pull them out so I can get to know my character, learn their voice, or they even help me get past writers' block sometimes. I have a post planned in the future going over them.
madeline said…
CONGRATS!!!

Oh, I love that charcter sheet. ^^ I saw it in your link bar, and kinda stole it lol. It's pretty helpful.

You sound like your going well with your stories.
Anonymous said…
Well done HR!
And i did the same thing as Madeline-Rose, i found the 100 questions very very useful!

x
Amna (GeekPride in AW))

Popular posts from this blog

What's Up Wednesday: January 15

What's Up Wednesday: August 20

What's Up Wednesday: August 6